Our Roofing Decision




This post has been a long time in coming...nearly 3 years, actually.  As I mentioned in my last two posts here and here....we have been dealing with roof issues since we moved into this house.  And they were very unexpected as we had a 5 year old roof on the house with 30 year architectural shingles.  We've spent the last 3 years trying to figure out what to do--research, educate ourselves, determine how we were going to afford this, and there may have been a few tears as well.

Our roof is not small...when you have a sprawling ranch, things like the roof are expensive.  So cost was definitely a consideration.  But at the end of the day, I really felt like we didn't have a choice.  Shingles seemed too risky (and we had 2 roofing companies flat out say they wouldn't put shingles on this house and one no-bid.)  I felt like we would be in the same situation in 10 years with shingles. 

The next set of options--the "membrane group" didn't seem aesthetically appropriate for this house.  Our roof is low-slope but visible, and I thought a membrane would detract from our house (and our neighbors too). 

 The next option was rolled asphalt roofing--I basically felt the same way about this as I felt about the membrane.

The last, and most expensive choice by far is metal roofing.  Standing seam specially designed for low-slope applications.  And that's the choice WE  WENT WITH!!  I couldn't be more thrilled to shell out the big bucks right now.  We'll be dry this winter and have a awesome looking roof to boot!

We picked "Burnished Slate" as our color.  We were between that and a color called "Charcoal", but the "Burnished Slate" matched the stone around our house very nicely.  I felt it was a better color for our home and looked less "tinny". 


Not our house--but this is the color roof that we chose.




 We signed the contract just after labor day and they came to take final measurements this week.  It will take a few weeks to get material so I'm anticipating having this roof put on in October.  I am very excited!


Comments

  1. Hi Modernt,

    Great site, interested in guest blogging?

    I really enjoyed reading through your blog posts on http://modchester.blogspot.com/. I got a real sense of enthusiasm and passion in each post. Actually, I run Metalhandyman.com, a blog about metalcraft and DIY home improvement projects. If you’re interested, I would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Just shoot me quick a e-mail and we can begin this potentially exciting affiliation together. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thanks,
    Bob
    bob.mauer65@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob...very honored! I'll send you an e-mail.

      Delete
  2. Glad you picked the metal roof! The dark color will help melt snow quicker and the reflection won't be so bright it would hurt your eyes. I'd have your architect friend look over the work and the chimney flashing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A roof replacement may cost much, but it’s always a worthy investment. It was a great decision not to rush things and weigh your options first. Careful planning made you land on a wise choice, which is metal roofing! With this, you can be assured of a strong roofing system, made to last even with little maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm eager to see what your finished results will be. I know it's going to be a significant change in terms of the look and feel. Just curious - did you ever determine what the original roofing material was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the original material was but I think the previous roof to this one was shingles too. The reason why I think this is because we found old shingle remnants (from the tear off) in the landscape when we trimmed it back.

      Delete
  5. You made the right decision to have metal roofing! Even if it's costly, its durability makes it a good investment. Compared to other roofing materials, this one needs little to less maintenance. I hope that everything flows smoothly with your coming roof project! Good luck, Modernt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The roofing you picked looks awesome! It may not be your house but that looks so good! :) Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I’m so excited to see the actual roof! I like the color you chose, and I saw your post of the finished roof and it looks gorgeous! I’m so happy with your decision as you were right, the roof DID match the rest of the house. A good decision going for the metal roof as well as it will surely lessen your cost on upkeep as not much dirt would remain on the roof as opposed to having shingles.

    Claire Mendoza

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came onto your blog while focusing just slightly submits. Nice strategy for next, I will be bookmarking at once seize your complete rises grey melange

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment